Tuesday, November 7, 2017

What is the singular term for "glia"?

I am entertaining a dilemma which I will answer conclusively in this posting.

As Clique Space(TM) continues to evolve, the necessity for delineating between neurons and other related cells (I have called them glia in previous posts because of what seems to be a structural necessity that for as aware of neuroscience (no spell check - not pseudoscience) as I am not, seem to be similar to glial cells.

My code-base consists of five projects. One of these five projects is called "GlialDevice". I don't like this - it's too long and clashes with another project (the base project) called "ClientDevice". Being that I am designing GlialDevice to encapsulate all the necessary behaviour of any glial device, I want this project and the common behaviour it represents to stand as an idealised Client Device.

There is a need, however and especially within the Neuron project, to refer to a specific glial device without having to be concerned about the specific glial device's function. Hence, I need a label (indeed an abstract noun) that allows me to indicate that I am talking about a specific glial device even though I am not concerned with what that device specifically does.

I have decided the following: this project's name will remain the same. However, when I need to refer to a specific glial device instance (an example is when a Neuron is engaged by a glial device), I will use the term "glion". Now at least one publication has protested the use of this term; but I am not concerned. I am going to henceforth use the term "glion" to describe an abstract instance of a glial device, and such a label will be used in my code whenever such a need arises.

So, some examples of the use of this label are: 1. a Neuron will be engaged by a glion, 2. a glion can act as an initiator in an engagement, and 3. a glion can observe, but cannot participate in cognition.

No comments:

Post a Comment